Top 10 Security Tips For Retailers At Christmas
Published on Tue, Nov 17, 2015 12:48 PM
Christmas Retail Security
Christmas is a fantastic time of year, especially for retailers as many see their profits rise and a huge influx of customers as everyone sets about buying gifts and necessities for the festive season. However, it’s also a busy time of year for thieves and criminals in the UK too. The British Retail Consortium reported that crime cost retailers £603m last year as shop-lifters took advantage of distracted staff and the vast array of Christmas goods on show.
It is difficult to make sure that your store is completely safe and secure throughout the Christmas season as shopping centres and high streets become busier and busier with last minute shoppers. However, by following our simple ten-step guide, you will be able to ensure that your business is safeguarded against security breaches and shoplifters this Christmas.
- Welcome customers as they enter the premises. This makes customers feel at ease but also makes potential shop-lifters aware of your significant staff presence.
- Make sure that a high level of staff is present in the store at all times.
- If you have any fitting rooms, ensure that they are attended to by a member of staff.
- Make sure that members of the public cannot distract cashier staff – always have an extra person on hand to deal with specific enquiries. If till staff are distracted they may leave tills unattended.
- If you spot any suspicious behaviour, ask the customer if they are okay and remind them that you will be close by should they need any assistance. This reassures genuine customers and warns would-be shoplifters at the same time.
- Staff should double-check to see if any tags or prices have been removed from items.
- Security officers should position themselves at the front of the store in order to show the public that the shop is secure.
- Make sure that your stock room is always locked.
- Any back entrances should be secured with a gate and a substantial lock.
- Invest in a good-quality cash deposit safe and an air-tube system, which sends capsules of money from the till system to a protected safe instantly and securely.
For more information about how to secure your business this Christmas, contact us today and receive a quote for our vast selection of retail safes and air-tube systems.